Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Run, Turkey, Run!

EK and PK children discussed Run, Turkey, Run! written by New Hampshire author (and my good friend) Diane Mayr and illustrated by Laura Rader.

I first heard this story several years ago when Diane brought it to our critique group to read. Because I've talked about this story so many times with my adult writer friends, it was great fun hearing what the children, Diane's intended audience, had to say about Run, Turkey, Run!

EK Kids Respond:

Sophie: The farmer was chasing the turkey because it was Thanksgiving and he really, really wanted turkey. The turkey keeped on trying to get away from the farmer. He goed in the pond, he rolled in the mud, he sticked his head in the bucket, and he hid in the trees and the farmer couldn't find him. On the end the farmer had grilled cheese and peas. I liked it because the turkey rolled in the mud.

Arthur: I liked it because this thing is upside down! [The cover of our copy of RUN, TURKEY, RUN! is upside down, so we needed to turn the book around and read from what appears to be the back. The kids loved it when I opened the book after we talked about the cover art and endpapers only to find we were looking at the upside-down last page of the book.] When he said, "Could he think I'm a pig when I'm in the mud?" And I liked when he saw he wasn't a pig. And I liked when he said, "Would he think I'm a duck when I'm in the water?" But he found he wasn't a duck. And when he said, "Could he think I'm a horse when I'm in this bucket?" When he said, "Would he think I'm a tree when I'm in the branch?" And he thought he was a tree! And that's all I like.

Keegan: How old is it? [I told Keegan the book was published in 2007 so it's two years old.] I'm way older than this. I'm almost five, so I'm way older than this. There's no such thing as a turkey that has a whole red neck. I did not like the book because there's no such thing as animals peeking out from a tree and talking. I don't know how old the barn is. It looks like it's red, so it's a red barn, so I think it's new. I like old barns. Up to camp there's a barn that was there before the barn that was there now. It got burned down. Hay burns once it's not dry. The year after that they built the new barn.

Leah: The turkey was sad because he was going to get cooked. And then the farmer was walking down the stairs and the turkey started running. Next the farmer was trying to get him and he went in the duck pond and then he saw him and then he went into the barn and stuck his head in the horse bucket and then he was running and his friends said, "Run, Turkey, run!" The farmer was chasing after the turkey. He was hiding behind the branches and the farmer didn't see him and then he danced along with his bunny friends. And then when they were going to get a Christmas tree they saw the turkey. And then they were going to have him for Christmas dinner and the kid said, "Run, Turkey, run!" And do you know what I liked the best? I like that the endpapers were the same.

Bella: I like how he was saying, "Pacock!" in the window. And then he got all muddy. He was trying to hide from the farmer. He was running and then he was swimming, but the farmer still knows where he was. Look it! He's sticking his head in the bucket. I'm done.

Allison: The farmer didn't know he was there [in the window]. Then the farmer was going downstairs and the turkey was running and he got mud on him because he splashed into the pig mud thing. Then the farmer was chasing after the chicken, and then he was swimming in the water. And then he got wet and he got wet, and then the chicken put he's head in the bucket, and then he was running again. And then his friends said, "Run, run!" And then he's hiding from the farmer behind the tree. Then the chicken and his bunnies were dancing. Then he was running away 'cause the farmer saw him.

Brooke N.: I liked it because he feeleded sad and the farmer went outside to get the chicken and he went in the mud and he went out of the mud and he went with the duck pool and he felled off and then his [the farmer's] shoes were all wet. And then he went in the farm and he said, "Go, Chicken! Run, run!" And then he screamed 'cause he found him in the tree.

Annalee: I liked it because the man was standing by the window. He was drinking coffee. The turkey was outside. Then the farmer whistled and he was going to catch the turkey. He ran. He went in the mud and the farmer didn't think he was a pig. They ran. He swam in the water like a duck. He went splish, splash out of the water. He went into the farm. He hid like a horsey. Then he [the farmer] had this one [the bucket] stuck on his boot. He hid like branches. He had a stick in his hand.

John: I think I have this book at home. The problem was that the farmer kept chasing the turkey and he never stopped. The turkey thought he could pretend he was a duck. And he pretended that he was a horse. And I like when all the animals said, "Run, Turkey, run!" And I like when the animals said, "Run from the farmer!" I like it because when it became Thanksgiving and they didn't have any turkey to eat the farmer was sad. And I like when the turkey was jumping around in the leaves with his bunny friends. And I like when the kid said, "Run, Turkey, run!" because they might eat him for Christmas dinner.

Brady K. said: I liked this story 'cause the turkey kept running from the farmer 'cause he was going to get eaten. The farmer didn't see him when he was hiding in the trees. That means he didn't get eaten.

Brooke B. didn't feel like talking about books today, but she did like Run, Turkey, Run!

PK Kids Responds

Kaitlyn:  The turkey had a bad day because the farmer was going to catch him. The turkey ran. The farmer looks mad. I thought it was a kid. Is the farmer a kid? He's in the mud! He got all muddy. A duck is in the water and even that turkey was in the water.

Acadia:  The farmer was going to cook the turkey for Thanksgiving. And they said, "Run, Turkey, run!" And then he was trying to get the turkey. I'm all done.

Christel:  It was crazy! He was going to get eaten by the farmer. What happened is he went downstairs and the turkey went, "Aaaah! Run. I'm going to run and run around all the way home to the woods!" He couldn't see the turkey hiding in the trees and he said, "At last! Am I safe? YES!" They find the chicken. They were looking for a tree for Christmas. "Run, Turkey, run to another tree!"

Summer:  The farmer was walking to the turkey and they said, "Run away, Turkey!" He walked down the stairs and he was coming to get the turkey. He couldn't find the turkey because of the trees.

Camryn:  The book was upside down! That was the funniest part! The farmer was chasing the turkey 'cause he wanted to eat him. He couldn't catch the turkey. He was run, run, run! They turkey hided and he got mud. He slide down in the water then the farmer went down. 
 
Katherine:  I like when the turkey was looking sad because he had a bad day because they're going to eat the turkey for Thanksgiving. I like the part when the farmer went down with the bag and he was chasing after the turkey and the turkey ran. I like the part when he was all muddy in the mud. I like the part when the pigs were yelling at the turkey and saying, "Run, Turkey! Run, Turkey!" I like the part when he was in the water and the ducks looked under the water. I like the part when he jumped right out of the water and started running again. I like the part when he was running down the hill and stuck his head into the box and the horsies looked at the turkey and said they know that he was a horse. And I like the part when the turkey ran out of the barn and the farmer was chasing after him and he was running and said, "Clinkety clank. Clinkety clank." I like the part when the turkey put the bucket on his head and his friends said, "Go, Turkey! Run, Turkey! Run, Turkey!" I like the part when he ran into the forest. I like the part when he was look at the farmer and the farmer went back home and the turkey was safe at last. I like the part when he sat down at the rectangle table. I like the part when the turkey did the dance. I like the part when the family came and the little girl looked at the turkey and said, "Go, Turkey! Go, Turkey! Go!"

Emelyn: I like this part! [In the pig pen.] I thought the farmer thought this was a pig 'cause this had mud on it 'cause pigs have mud on it. He got out! He chased him! I like the farmer thought he was a duck.

Eva: I like the part when he ran through the mud. That was silly! I like when he got in the boat and the chicken was in the boat [pond] and he [the turkey] had this thing [goggles] on his face and he [the farmer] fell out of the boat and he was all wet. And when the chicken went in the barn. He put his head in the food bucket and the farmer saw his back. That's silly!

Mack: He was going to get eaten by the farmer. He was drinking some coffee and then he went out and had a bag to catch the turkey in and he chaseded him and then he started chasing him again. The turkey was in the mud so he couldn't see him. And then the farmer started chasing him again and then the farmer looked and see him in the water and he was in the horse one and then he went in the woods and then he didn't get eaten and then the sister said, "Run, Turkey, run!"

Brady L.: The farmer was going to get this turkey for dinner. And this farmer is covered in mud because he was trying to catch the chicken, but then the ducks said, "Go, Chicken, go!" Then the chicken stucked in the bucket.  And then the farmer stepped with the bucket on his foot. And then the pig said, "Go! Go! Go! Go! Go!"  That's all I know.

Mikayla: He's going to eat the turkey. That thing went in the mud. He was chasing that turkey again.

Emmett didn't feel like talking about the book, but he liked it. He said, "I'm too busy playing!" Playing is the most important thing we do here, so I agreed that he needed to keep at it.

3 comments:

  1. That great kids' author.
    That silly turkey.

    I'm done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who knew that the secret to a successful book is an upside-down cover!

    Actually, that book is much older than Keegan! It was written about 7 years before it was published--maybe even longer than that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the fact that we have two noted picture book authors, including the author of RUN, TURKEY, RUN! commenting on our little blog!

    Thanks, Janet and Diane.

    ReplyDelete