Wednesday, November 18, 2009

EK kids talk pigeon. PK kids talk turkey.

The EK kids extended the Mo Willems conversation started by the PK and CPG children last week.

Brooke B. discussed Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!: I liked it because, "Hi! I'm the bus driver. I'm leaving for a little bit, but don't let the pigeon drive the bus." I liked it when the pigeon said, "I thought he'd never leave." When he said, "Can I drive the bus?" "No!" "Please?" What did all that say again? [Brooke is looking at the double page spread in which the pigeon pleads, whines and lists several reasons why he should be able to drive the bus.] The bus driver came back before he could get a chance to drive the bus. The pigeon said, "Hey!" And then he was thinking about driving the truck.

Bella discussed The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!: I like how the duckling marched onto the page. I like how the pigeon was getting mad. He was just being goofy. The duckling was just asking that he wants to have a hot dog. I like how he was writing down all the stuff. I like how the pigeon just yelled at the duckling. Look. There's two words. The duckling was just laying.

Leah discussed The Pigeon Wants a Puppy!:  The pigeon wanted a puppy. And do you know what was the funniest part? The puppy page because he was afraid. He said, "I want a walrus!" That was so funny! And you know what? Some of the pages are funny. And you know what? He was scared and he jumped out of the page. That was the funniest. I laughed at that part!

Brooke N. discussed The Pigeon Wants a Puppy!:  He said, "I want a puppy! I will feed him one thing of water." What does this say again? He wanted a puppy. He heard barking and then he freaked out and he jumped out of the page because the dog was huge. And then he wanted a walrus.

Hayden discussed The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!:  You know I love hot dogs! And look! A little chick is peeking out at the hot dog. He found a hot dog and he jumped out of up there and then he flapped his feathers and he's so glad to have a hot dog. And then he hold the hot dog and he flapped his feathers and he can't wait to eat it. Then the pigeon got so mad because the chickie wanted the hot dog and he didn't know what kind it is. He don't know what a hot dog is for. The duck wrote HOT DOG, CHICK PET, and BIG DOGGY on his list. The chick had an idea. The chick said to the goose, "Let's share that hot dog!" And he thought, "This is my hot dog!" And on the next page, on the back of it says, "Split it!" The goose holds the hot dog up in the air and the chick can't get it. Then they split it and then the goose and the chick really like the hot dog. He thought he didn't like a hot dog, and he did! He loved the hot dog!

Allison discussed Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!:  The pigeon couldn't drive the bus. The bus stop man walked away. I'm done.

Annalee discussed The Pigeon Wants a Puppy!:  He found a puppy at the end. It scared him. He wanted a hippopotamus.

Sophie discussed The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!:  The pigeon is so excited. He found a hot dog, but he didn't want to share it. He screamed and shouted and he saw a duckling and he didn't want the duckling to eat it all so in the end he gave the duckling a part of the hot dog. The duck said it needed a little mustard. That is funny!

Brady K. discussed Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!: When the bus driver walked away the pigeon was sneaking into the bus. He said, "I thought he'd never leave." He wants to drive the bus. He can't drive the bus. He's thinking about driving the truck.

Dev discussed The Pigeon Wants a Puppy!: The pigeon wanted to get a puppy. He was hiding from the puppy. He changed his mind. He wanted these. [Points to walrus crate on endpapers.]

Daniel discussed The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!: The pigeon and the duckling. I think the duckling's really cute. The duckling was being mean of bugging about the hot dog. The pigeon didn't want to say anything, so he had black stuff above his head. This page was kind of silly. I don't know what those letters say. That's an A and that's an S. The duckling thought about splitting the hot dog, and he said, "Hmmm. This needs mustard." The hot dog needed mustard. And on this [endpapers] one there was a bunches of full hot dogs and one split in half.

Keegan discussed The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!: That's ridiculous! Somebody dropped a hot dog and it's probably dirty. He must be one dumb pigeon. The duckling was trying to take it. It wanted to steal the hot dog 'cause he wanted to steal it. It's dirty! That's it.

John discussed The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!: The pigeon went flap, flap, flap and said, "Oooooh! A hot dog!" And I like that he said, "Yummy! Yummy! Yummy!" The pigeon didn't want to share his hot dog with the little duckling. The duckling wanted the hot dog. And the pigeon didn't want him to have the hot dog. And the pigeon was relaxing and going to eat the hot dog. He got really mad because the duckling was annoying him. The duckling said, "Does it taste like chicken?" And I like when the pigeon said, "Can you believe this guy!?!" And then he said, "It just tastes like a hot dog, okay?" And I like when he said, "Finders keepers, that's what I say! What does a hot dog even taste like? Blah, blah, blah." The little duckling said, "I have an idea." They they splitted the hot dog.

Arthur discussed The Pigeon Wants a Puppy!: My favorite was when he said, "The slobber and the teeth and the claws and the wet nose."

PK kids discussed This is the Turkey written by Abby Levine and illustrated by Paige Billin-Frye.

Kaitlyn: The turkey went flying. It landed in the fish tank. They ate other stuff. They made pumpkin pie.

Katherine: I like the part when Max picked out the turkey. I like the part when the sister was making bread. I like the part when the Grandma when she bringed the beans. I like the cousins and the cookies and the brownies. I like the part when she tripped over the little boy and I like when the turkey went flying. And I like the part when it fell in the fish bowl. I like when Grandma came back. And I like when Grandpa said, "I'm hungry. Let's eat!" I like the part when they all sat down.

Mikayla: The cat jumped over there because the water splashed. The turkey got wet.

Emelyn: They throwed the chicken in a fish tank. They got fish poop on it. They don't like fish poop. They ate everything else.

Brady L.: The family came. The girl tripped over a boy and then the turkey went in a fish pond.

Emmett: I want to tell you the silly part. The mom tripped over the kid and the kid tripped over the car. The turkey went flying. It landed in a fish bowl. And look! A fish is flying!

Mack: The sister tripped over the little brother. The turkey fell in the fish tank. They had plenty more to eat. And then all of the customers leave and they had a happy Thanksgiving Day.

Camryn: The chicken just falled into the fish tank 'cause the lady just tripped over Max. That was funny!

Christel: The turkey fell in the fish tank. The sister dropped it and tripped over the boy. They had all the other stuff. It was salad, famous green beans, cranberry sauce, bread, pumpkin pie, and maybe some squash, I guess. They played games, looked at family in pictures, and the fishies were all back in their safe home. They had a good time. And then all of them went to the door and the boy was the one that said, "I think we had the best Thanksgiving ever!"

Acadia: I can't know what the story telled. I liked it, but I can't know what it says. [Acadia picked out her favorite page. It was the one in which the turkey went flying into the fish tank. Who'd a thunk?]

Summer: The turkey went in the fish bowl. They couldn't eat it. They ate salad. They ate green beans. They looked at pictures. And that one still's eating dinner!

Eva: She tripped on the child. "Yikes!" The turkey fell in the fish tank. They had lots of vegetables and no turkey. They look happy. Even Max, like my brother Max! That one's sleeping on the couch. You're not supposed to sleep on the couch! You're supposed to sleep in bed. Here's the fish tank. Hey, I don't see any turkey in the fish tank anymore. Maybe they threw it in the trashcan. He's blowing on the coffee. You're not supposed to blow on the coffee! And these two are playing a game. And those two are looking at the family pictures. Hey. They're coming in here. Everybody left to go home. Max said, "This is the best Thanksgiving that is sold out!"

No comments:

Post a Comment