Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Ready . . . Set . . . Write!

Today is The National Day on Writing, and blogging at The Picture Book Project is the perfect way for my 4 and 5-year old students to participate. We'll be discussing Littlebat's Halloween Story written by New Hampshire author Diane Mayr and illustrated by Gideon Kendall.

Littlebat and his mother live in a small colony in the attic of a country library. He discovers a small hole in the attic floor, which allows him to peek in on storytime. He can't see the pictures, and wants desperately to fly down for a closer look. Quite by accident, Littlebat drops in on storytime, and panic ensues. When he escapes into the attic, his mother tells a shaken Littlebat that he must wait for "changes" before he can go safely into the library for storytime.

See if you can figure out what those changes might be from reading the children's comments.

EK Reponses

Daniel: He should listen to his mom. She said, "Don't get too close to see the pictures." He went like that -- ZOOM! The kids yelled and everyone was afraid. On the bug pictures, I didn't know that bats eat the same thing as frogs. I think that I didn't know that.

Keegan: That's cool -- they can hang upside down. I like the fact that they can hang upside down. It's weird. Bats can fly, and we can't, 'cause they have wings. They were scared that the bat was going to hurt them. I would be pretty brave. I would try to catch it. I'm pretty fast. I bet I would be faster than a bat.

Hayden: It's about fly away and everybody was scared of it and the teacher flapped it with a book. And then a kid went under the table. Littlebat been scared and the mother been happy and say, "It's okay, Baby."

Brooke B.: I liked it when Littlebat poked his head through the hole in the ceiling at the library. He thought he should go look and see what was happening. I liked it when he fell through the hole at the library and everyone was scared. And then his mother said, "You shouldn't do that." I liked it when he was acting to be a paper bat.

Brooke N.:  A bat popped out of the hole. He wanted to listen to the library. He thought the butterfly was a moth, and it was weird, and he freaked out. And the library was trying to die him with a library book. And then he saw his mommy.

Brady K.: I liked all of it. I liked this page because there's a bat. They're trying to kill it.

Leah:  It was funny when the children screamed of the bat. It looks all creepy, that page. All the bugs look all dark. And do you know what was the funniest one? I thought the frog was a crocodile!

Sophie: The kids were scared of the little bat. The teacher waved her book and tried to shoo the bat away. The kids were yelling and one kid was hiding. Littlebat was worried and scared.

John: Littlebat wanted to see the stories up close. He couldn't because people might hurt him. Littlebat's mother was worried that he would get hurt. She said don't go down in there. I thought that page was exciting because he was flying around in the library. The librarian just swooped her book at him. The kids were yelling and screaming. If a bat came in my house I would open the door and let it out the garage. I like this page because it had all of the costumes. My favorite one is the guy with the mask.

Bella: I liked it when he was sticking his head out to see the pictures of it. I like when they were all running 'cause they were afraid of the bat. I think the bat was scared of them. The mom [bat] said, "Don't go so close."

Annalee:  I liked it when he was asleep. I liked it when he sleeps in there with his mama. The mama's putting her wings around him.

Arthur: My really favorite part is the changes was there. The kids saw the little bat and they thought he was a decoration. But my really favorite part was all of it.

Allison:  I like the bat flying in the air. The kid's putting her hands up to her ears 'cause of Littlebat. He wanted to see the pictures.

PK Responses

Eva:  I like the baby bat because he didn't get smacked by the book. I liked when they were dressed up. That's a dinosaur. This is a witch.

Camryn: He falled and he landed right in the room. They yelled and the lady almost smacked him. That was funny. I love it when the bats hang upside down. The lady thought it was a decoration.

Mack:  My favorite was this girl on the table. The bat was scaring the children. He [the bat] feeled worried. He got safe with his mom. It was Halloween and the kids thought the bat was a decoration. I think this girl  [the librarian] thought it was a decoration, too. At the end he [the bat] was reading a book.

Emelyn: The bat's right there and they got surprised. She's going to get hurt. [A frightened girl standing on a table.] She's going to fall on this book and get her head hurt.

Katherine: I like this one because I like the decorations. The kids are reading. The bat wants to see the pictures. I like the page when he was hanging down like a decoration.

Kaitlyn: [Looking at an illustration of Littlebat peeking through the hole in the ceiling.] I didn't know necks could stick out that far. He started falling from the book. The bat fell and he would get hurt from the book if it swinged at him. He'd get a ginormous book boo-boo on his belly.

Acadia:  The changes came and baby bat comed out and listened very quietly.

Christel:  It looks like he was falling through the hole. And I liked it when he fell down. That was funny. Those books were supposed to be on the bookshelf.  And that guy was looking up at the bat. He looks kind of scared. And it was really funny when the boy with the book on his head.They were scared of the bat 'cause they didn't like him. They're trying to hide. She's trying to smack him. [Flips to night pond illustration] I didn't know what that was. Oh! It's a night caterpillar. Cool! I liked the moon's look. And I liked that right there. [I asked what "that" was.] I have no idea! [Told her it was a moth.] Oh! [Flips to another illustration.] I liked the fireworks and there were 2 bats hanging outside.

Brady L.:  I like this page because the bat was falling down and the kids were going crazy. She's [the librarian] screaming.

Mikayla: That girl [the librarian] whacked that bat. They're sad because she doesn't like the bat.

Summer:  That one [Littlebat] fell in. They screamed. 

Emmett was very busy creating pattern block patterns and didn't feel like talking about the book today.

No comments:

Post a Comment