Thursday, September 24, 2009

CPG Children Share Their Thoughts

On Thursday, September 24th, the CPG children read the 2005 Caldecott Medal winner Kittens First Full Moon, written and illustrated by Kevin Henkes. Because today was our first visit with Miss Mary from Project Nature, I only had enough time to discuss the book with four of my students. I'll post what the rest of the children had to say tomorrow.

 Aria: I liked the kitten one because I do like the moon and the house and the cups and the milk. I liked this one. [Illustration in which the kitten climbed a tree in an attempt to reach the moon, which it had mistaken for a bowl of milk.] The kitten got all sad and got all wet. I like all the kitties. I got Sammy and Summer and Sophie. They're kittens. I like the tree one. Her got scared. And she can't reach the moon and climb and climb. I like the house one and I like the sleep one.

Ryan:  I liked it because he saw the milk and he thought the moon was a big milk and I liked it because it looked like it was 150 milk and it was getting bigger and bigger like a snowman because he came and he saw the milk and that's why I like it. I like the part where he saw the milk and he said, "Oh! I want a milk! Oh, ya!" And I liked when he saw the milk but it wasn't. It looked like a big ice cream bowl, but it wasn't."

Aiden R.: I liked the stars. He fell right there. [Illustration in which the kitten jumped into a pond reflecting the moon, which it had mistaken for a bowl of milk.) He gets wet and he looks scared then he got home.

J.J.:  I liked this because she tried to get the moon and she climbed the tree to try to catch it, but she couldn't!

We'll continue our cat/dog theme tomorrow when we read a doggy book.

Miss Mary, by the way, read The Flying Tortoise, An Igbo Tale retold by Tololwa M. Mollel and illustrated by Barbara Spurll.

No comments:

Post a Comment